FACTS TUTORIALS

HOW TO PUT OFF DOMESTIC FIRE

28ec47ed-08aa-4b20-b087-2b29f3285570-large16x9_e47976730b2b4c599fbabca5bf3324f5house20fire

Fire is one of the most useful of the four elements and also one of the most hazardous.  Fire outbreaks usually occur frequently around us and this outbreak most times starts small. We’d be enlightening You today on how to Put off Domestic Fire.

Following are ways to extinguish various fires – and when you should leave the firefighting to the professionals and get out.

Appliance Fire

Homes today are filled with dozens of small appliances, and all of them are potential fire hazards. A 2012 Consumer Reports investigation found that about half of all appliance fires are due to user error, while others are caused by mechanical or electrical problems. Depending on the appliance, you should do the following to extinguish the flames:

Microwave
Shut the door, turn the microwave off and unplug it, if you can reach the plug safely. The lack of oxygen should suffocate the flames.

Oven
Like microwave fires, close the oven door and turn it off. If flames begin to come out of the top, sides or bottom of the oven, reach for a multipurpose fire extinguisher or baking soda to put out the flames.

Television
A television can catch fire if there is insufficient space around it for air to circulate, or if objects are placed too close – think curtains, birthday cards, candles or other knick knacks – and the heat from the television causes them to ignite. Electrical components inside the television can also overheat and implode, causing a fire.

If smoke or flames are coming out of your television, unplug the cord and douse the flames with a fire extinguisher or water. Never try to smother the flames with a blanket, as you risk having it catch fire as well.

Electrical Fire

Electrical fires can be caused by problems with your home’s wiring or appliance failure, but the majority are related to homeowner mistakes, such as overloading electrical outlets, running extension cords under carpet or other flooring and using a light bulb with a wattage higher than recommended for the light fixture.

Electrical fires are especially dangerous because your first instinct – to reach for a bucket of water to douse the flames – will actually cause the flames to spread, since water conducts electricity. To put out an electrical fire, you should:

Reach for a multipurpose fire extinguisher or smother the flames with a blanket.
Unplug the device from the electrical source if you can safely do so.
Turn off power to the device from the main switch if you can safely do so.

Gas Fire

The natural gas that powers many stovetops, fireplaces and heating sources can overheat the surrounding structures (like a fireplace mantel) and set them on fire. If you smell a gas leak, you should call the gas company immediately and turn off the gas at its source.

Liquid gas fires (like gasoline) can be put out by smothering with a blanket. If that doesn’t work, or if there’s no blanket nearby, use a fire extinguisher. Water is ineffective in putting out a gas fire and can increase the chance of injury, as the heat from the fire will boil the water almost immediately, putting you at risk for steam burns.

Kitchen Grease Fire

Deep fried turkeys, counter top fryers, even a griddle of sizzling bacon can all set the stage for a kitchen grease fire. Grease fires occur when oil or grease collect in the cooking container and get hot enough to ignite. Like electrical fires, grease fires are extremely dangerous – not only do they burn very hot, but because grease is liquid it can easily splash on to other flammable surfaces or yourself.

Throwing water on a grease fire only increases the danger. The water will sink to the bottom of the pot, where it will become super-heated and eventually explode, sending scalding grease and water everywhere.

If you’re faced with a kitchen grease fire, try these steps to extinguish it:

Cover the flames with a pan lid. Avoid glass lids, as extreme heat may cause them to shatter.

Smother the flames with baking soda. Avoid flour or sugar, which can lead to a dynamite-like explosion.
Reach for a dry chemical fire extinguisher (a class K extinguisher will also work, but these are usually found in commercial kitchens).

Wood Burning Fireplace 

Warm, cozy and inviting, wood burning fireplaces are the focal point of any room they are in. But if maintained or extinguished improperly or left unattended, the fire can quickly rage out of control.

If you are faced with a fireplace fire, don’t treat it like a campfire and douse it with water. Not only will this create a mess and send ash flying throughout the room, it can also damage the fireplace. Instead, follow these steps:

Spread out the logs and embers to help cool the fire quickly.
Cover the logs and embers with ashes from the bottom of the fireplace.
Cover the logs and embers with sand or baking soda to ensure any smoldering embers are completely extinguished.
You shouldn’t see any flames or feel any heat coming from  the fireplace if it was properly extinguished

Leave a Comment

Share
%d bloggers like this: